5 Drugs Like NZT to Improve Cognitive Function
In the search for drugs like NZT, Modafinil comes up first. If you are interested in learning about the other options – read on. In this article, we give you five more nootropics to try!
Kratom is an evergreen tree that grows in Southeast Asia. It comes from the same family as the coffee plant. People of Thailand and Indonesia have been using it for centuries in their traditional medicine.
It has only recently been discovered by the Western world for it’s mood-boosting and pain killing properties. Another use for Kratom is as a substitute for opioid drugs. Some go as far as saying it could cure drug addiction.
We still don’t understand Kratom very well. We do know that it acts as a stimulant in small doses but it acts like an opioid when you take more. Kratom contains 27+ different alkaloids (organic compounds with a physiological effect) and only two of these are opioid agonists.
Unlike pure opioid agonists like morphine, Kratom does not have sedative effects. In fact, it gives you energy and boosts feel-good chemicals. In some people, it can even relieve depressive episodes.
The best comparison for understanding kratom is coffee. In the words of Dr Jack Henningfield of The John Hopkins University School Of Medicine:
“The best comparison is caffeine. People drink coffee or cola to get the stimulant effect of caffeine. But even drinking a lot of coffee is never going to produce the stimulant effect of amphetamines because caffeine also has a ceiling effect.”
The comparison is particularly great because caffeine also improves mood, makes you more productive and energetic, and it relieves pain. You can expect the effects of Kratom to be a bit more pronounced. In fact, you could overdose and you could experience withdrawal from Kratom.
There have been some cases of more serious complications, especially with people on antidepressants. Although Kratom is a natural substance, it is very potent so you have to be extra cautious of proper dosage, especially as a new user.
Finally, what is Kratom great for:
- More focus, energy, and productivity.
- Anxiety relief — unlike other nootropics, Kratom actually helps with anxiety.
- Makes you more sociable and helps with public speaking.
It is one of the drugs like NZT because it puts you in that state of effortless flow where magic tends to happen (and by magic I mean hard rewarding work).
Drugs Like NZT—RED Focus
RED Focus is a mix of different nootropics. It is a supplement that increases cognitive function, wakefulness, and concentration. In many ways, it has the benefits of a stimulant without the nasty side effects.
What is in RED Focus?
Two Vitamins Essential To Brain Function
- Vitamin B6 — It is involved in over a 100 different enzyme reactions in your body. Vitamin B6 is crucial to the biosynthesis of neurotransmitters. It is also detrimental to the proper function of your immune system and metabolism. People tend to become deficient in B6 after drinking alcohol. Even if you drink only occasionally, your B6 levels might be lower than optimal. Supplementing it is a great idea for brain health (and overall health, too)!
- Vitamin B12 — Vitamin B12 is essential for red blood cell formation and neurological function. It even has a role in DNA synthesis. Deficiencies usually present with neurological symptoms. Maintaining normal B12 levels is not always easy. Relatively few foods contain it and they are all of animal origin. If you are eating a plant-based or predominantly plant-based diet, supplementing B12 is a must. The same goes if you were using antibiotics, as those disturb the gut microbiome and vitamin B metabolism.
The RED Focus Nootropic Mix
- Bacopa Leafs — Bacopa is one of the best-researched nootropic herbs. It increases blood flow to the brain, protects your neurones, and it can even help with ADHD. So far, the most widely-accepted benefit of Bacopa extract is memory improvement. There have been very promising results for additional cognitive benefits — increased focus, concentration, and motivation.
- Alpha-GPC — This compound is very efficient at crossing the blood-brain barrier. It delivers choline to the brain, which is necessary for the synthesis of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Choline can be found in dietary sources but it isn’t always easy to reach your recommended daily intake. Supplementing choline through alpha-GPC helps maintain healthy levels and it could even be beneficial to Alzheimer patients.
- Theobromine — Theobromine comes from the cacao plant and it has a similar chemical structure to caffeine. Much like caffeine, it widens blood vessels, increasing blood flow to the brain. It is also a heart stimulant and a mood booster. Some uses for theobromine as a cancer-preventing substance have been patented.
- Phosphatidylserine — A component of cell membranes. It has been found to decrease cognitive decline in the elderly and improve cognitive function in healthy adults. The research is still at its early stages but phosphatidylserine shows some promising effects on memory and stress-reduction.
- L-Theanine — L-Theanine affects many aspects of cognition. It raises serotonin and dopamine levels, which makes it a potent mood-booster. More importantly, though, L-theanine has been shown to promote neurogenesis. Since your rate of neurogenesis is one of the most important biomarkers for brain health, it is safe to say that L-theanine is an excellent supplement for improving cognition.
- Vinpocetine — Vinpocetine has been studied as a memory-enhancing drug. It also shows anti-inflammatory and anticonvulsant properties.
- Huperzine A — Unlike other neurotransmitters, acetylcholine is nor reabsorbed in the cell. Rather, once it has done its job, an enzyme degrades it outside the neurone. Huperzine A inhibits the enzyme and acetylcholine levels go up. Acetylcholine is widely used in pathways related to memory so that is what Huperzine A boosts.
Alpha Brain by Onnit
Alpha brain improves focus, memory, motivation, and general computing speed in healthy adults. They have the clinical trials to prove it, too.
It even showed an improvement in brain wave frequency as compared to the placebo. Alpha Brian could be a good choice if you have a history of heart issues or sleep problems. Unlike other brain health supplements, this one does not contain stimulants. You can take it at any time of the day.
The downside of the lack of stimulants is you can’t expect to improve energy levels. Alpha Brain is better for verbal learning improving your processing power.
It can be incredibly beneficial for students, as well as those looking to boost their creativity and problem-solving abilities.
We ranked it among the drugs like NZT because its effects give you that ‘I wasn’t high, I wasn’t wired; just clear. I knew what I needed to do and how to do it’ feeling.
Yes, this is a quote from the movie.
Adrafinil metabolises into Modafinil in your system. It has virtually the same effects but they take longer to kick in. Adrafinil promotes wakefulness without a need for compensatory sleep. It gives you the superhuman focus that Modafinil does. It also helps keep you alert for much longer.
Not only are you 100% concentrated on the task at hand but you are also able to maintain that for a longer period of time.
Adrafinil does have more side effects than Modafinil, though. Besides, it takes longer to kick in.
Planning ahead your consumption becomes exponentially more difficult. Although the compound is ultimately the same, Modafinil gives you a better experience and that is why people prefer it.
Adderall improves focus and cognition. It is very popular for ADHD treatment but not so much so in the nootropic community. Unlike other drugs like NZT on this list, Adderall is an amphetamine.
It has some serious side effects and an addiction potential.
It is very well-established as a cognitive enhancer because it really does work for the vast majority of patients. The medical community is convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks for people with attention deficit problems or sleep disorders. Presuming that you don’t have them, let Adderall be your last resort. There are simply safer options.
If you do decide to try, you will need a prescription. The way things are right now, even describing vague symptoms of fatigue and trouble concentrating will get you one. It would not even be lying — to some degree we all struggle with this stuff daily. Bear in mind, that although they give it out like candy, you have to be very responsible about it. Do your research and ask the doctor a lot of questions. Trust me, they prescribe it so much that they know all about it.
So there you have it. In the search for drugs like NZT, you have to accept that nothing will mimic the same exact effects.
The best strategy is to try different things until you find what works best for you and your specific needs.
We would love to help you on this journey. Check out our other articles on Nootropics/drugs like NZT and leave any questions in the comments section!
PS: And, if you truly want the NZT drug, pick up Modafinil from our preferred vendor.